Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Confederate Donut-Licker

Salutations, friends.

If you'll recall, last post "Of Flags and #LoveWins" dealt with the Confederate flag. Apparently, some comments inspired me to make this post, along with the other news story (hence the Donut-Licker). 

I'll kick things off again with the flag. This morning, I awoke to a post from my local ABC station telling me that the South Carolina House of Representatives had officially voted yes to remove the Confederate battle flag from the state capitol building, joining the SC Senate who had voted the same earlier in the week. Now, my initial thoughts? Good. As I said in my previous post, "I believe the only flags that should be flying at the capitol should be the United States flag and the state flag". That is still my position, still will be. 

However, I do want to expand on my comments about heritage. In the Facebook comment feed on the station's post, most of the comments were of hate towards hate. 

Let's put this into one point they've all had: "Heritage, not hate". The flag in itself is not hateful, but rather it is representative of a hate that seven states had when they decided to secede from the Union. Hate for the Republicans, who wanted to end the spread of slavery. Hate for those who the states felt that their rights were being trampled on. 

Do I have an issue with those who claim heritage? No. If your ancestors were truly veterans of the Confederacy, then yes, by all means, display it as a monument to your family's history. But if you're campaigning for the flag to stay, then choose another reason, because everyone at this point must be tired of "heritage, not hate". 

Personally, I feel that yes, the flag should be kept out of state buildings, but sold in stores for those who wish to display it. Any more, and no. This argument has gone on far too long, and for me, it's time that we realize what this flag represents. It represents a time when America was divided, when brothers fought and killed brothers, when we as a nation were violent towards one another. If you're fine with that, then by all means. Just don't be ignorant.

Now onto the final part. Yesterday, Ariana Grande, former Nickelodeon star, singer of top 40 songs such as Problem, One Last Time, and Love Me Harder, was caught on tape licking donuts and stating that she hates America. 

Now, her response can be read here, but here's what I have to say. 

Is she free to an opinion? Yes, our First Amendment allows for this. However, I do have a bone to pick with her.

I am slightly overweight. I do recognize that we as Americans have issues with weight. Do I believe that we should have a better program in place for health? Yes, but people don't realize that regular exercise will help one lose weight as well. 

But trying to place blame on obesity when you clearly lick a donut (perhaps one that the worker missed and ended up in someone's mouth)? That's a fail.

I like Ariana's songs, but I have never liked her as a person due to oversexualization (ironically she wrote a statement a while ago about celebrities and that very subject). Her career will most likely survive this; but don't expect anyone to like her as much now. 

There's an old saying in Latin: tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito. Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them. 

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito indeed.

~Nate


No comments:

Post a Comment