Saturday, June 27, 2015

Of Flags and #LoveWins

Hello. 

It's been a crazy week in the news, and to be honest, I didn't know what exactly I wanted to say, especially on the two subjects I'm choosing to write about today. 

First of all, let's discuss this whole Confederate flag thing (especially since it is the lesser of the stories to discuss.) If you haven't kept up on the matter, basically after the horrific events in Charleston, SC, people have been clamoring for the past few days for the Confederate battle flag (note that: the Confederate battle flag---the official flag of the Confederacy changed often) to be removed from the South Carolina state capitol. As such, to complete the controversy, many are removing it from stores as well. 

To be honest, I agree with removing it from state properties where it flies---but not from stores. Look, we cannot deny that Dylann Roof misused the Confederate battle flag. That flag is connected to a vital and yet brutal and bloody part of our history. And now it is involved in another battle. Do not let Roof's blatant hate and racism dilute the history of the flag, nor its' relevance blind the public. The flag holds relevance to descendants of Confederate soldiers. It holds a piece of history to states who were members of the Confederacy, states like South Carolina or my home state, Alabama.

Do I agree that the flag should not be flying at state capitols? Yes. I believe the only flags that should be flying at the capitol should be the United States flag and the state flag. No more, no less. If you want to fly it at your house, to show off Southern heritage, fine by me, as long as you realize that the flag represents a dark time in our nation's history. 


Now, onto the bigger mess. 

Yesterday was big. Yesterday, nine people (nominated and approved, I might add) chose to legalize gay marriage. 

Now, let me be clear. I am a Christian. I do believe gay marriage is not in concordance with what God set in the Bible. God made it clear that the definition of marriage was one man and one woman. Does this mean I hate gays? No. God has called me to love each and every person on this Earth. I do not condone Christian bigotry, however. 

So people who call out homosexuality? Listen up. 

How many of you have divorced, like Amy Grant? Remember that Jesus basically said not to divorce (see Matthew 19:6.) (My views on divorce? Unless you are being beaten or at a point of where you are broken emotionally, mentally, and spiritually, then don't divorce. If you're unhappy? Try to fix it.) 

How many of you are overweight, perhaps obese (I struggle with weight, but as most people, I try to remain as healthy, even trying my hardest to lose weight)? Don't think God said that you can be fat? WRONG! Paul wrote that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. Probably should take that and research it. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

How many of you have had sexual relations outside of marriage that have resulted in pregnancy, like Bristol Palin (who herself has championed the cause of abstinence)? God asks that you remain pure until marriage (see 1 Thessalonians 4:3). (I won't be getting into the whole morality of the child out of wedlock; that falls into some pretty questionable arguments and a whole post about abortion, and that's not the point of this post.) 

I could go on and on, but you'd ask a single question: What's your point? My point is that all have sinned. All will sin. It took someone named Jesus to erase our sins by taking it all upon him at the Cross. 

If you judge homosexuality, then get ready to be judged according to what you've done. All sins are equal; the only one that isn't is to blaspheme the Holy Spirit, and that is truly unforgivable. The overall point is that love DOES win. Because God loves. And so should we. So yes, if you're planning to hate on the LGBT community because you don't agree with the ruling, don't, because they aren't the cause. 

Rather, I would be concerned over the fact that no matter what you believe, states' rights have just taken a HUGE impact. 30 states have just been forced to hold up the ruling. I would be very concerned with our nation's future. Last time we had an issue over states' rights, we ended up having a Civil War. You know, a Civil War that the flag I wrote about was used in? 

Either way, it's not looking good for our future. We must look to God, for He holds all the answers. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I heard Arkham Knight's got a few issues for PC. Yet another controversy I gotta write about. 

Respectfully yours, 

Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment